This is Ottolenghi’s recipe as it was published in the Guardian.
- Aubergines (about 1.2 kgs)
- Salt (1 teaspoon)
- Freshly ground black pepper (1 pinch)
- Sunflower Oil (120 ml)
- Olive Oil (100 ml)
- Medium-hot Green Chillies (2, thinly sliced)
- Garlic (10 cloves, thinly sliced)
- White-wine Vinegar (1½ tablespoon)
- Basil (20 gm, shredded)
- Coriander (20 gm)
- Mint (20 gm)
- Dill (20 gm)
Steps to cook the aubergines:
- Heat the oven to 210C/410F/gas mark 6½.
- Cut the aubergines into roughly 3cm squarish chunks.
- Put in a large mixing bowl and add the salt, some black pepper, sunflower oil and most of the olive oil (save about 3 tbsp for frying the chilli and garlic).
- Toss and spread over two large baking sheets lined with non-stick baking parchment.
- Roast for about 30 minutes – it’s important that the aubergines turn a good golden-brown colour.
- Remove from the oven and leave to cool down.
While the aubergines are cooking:
- Heat the reserved olive oil in a small saucepan and fry the chilli and garlic for about a minute, until the garlic turns a pale golden – watch out that you don’t cook it further, or it may burn and go bitter.
- Transfer the chilli, garlic and oil to a large mixing bowl and add the cooked aubergine.
- Add the vinegar and herbs, mix, taste and adjust the seasoning as necessary.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.
Similar posts to check out:
- December 22, 2009 Pan-Fried Asparagus
Yes I am a foodie (quite surprising, a lot of people find that surprising). 8-)
Anyways, this is what I intend to cook tonight among other things. I cannot claim credit for this, I found it online some time back and now its stored on my Wiki at home and I don't know who to give credit for it anymore.
1/4 cup butter
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon coarse salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 pound fresh asparagus spears, […]
- February 8, 2009 Spiced Red Dal
A Dal (Lentil) is quite a staple food at home – not only is it nutritious and health and full of protein, both I and Meenakshi love it. Now the way we usually make it at home is a little different that the version I came across from Yotam Ottolenghi. I tried it and was excellent – different from what I am use to cooking. The ingredients you need are: 200g split red lentils (Dhuli Masoor dal in Hindi) 1 bunch fresh coriander 1 small onion, peeled 40g ginger, peeled […]
- September 29, 2004 Lucky Dad's 8000 miles away!
Karan pointed me to this one on Yahoo and the boy am I glad that my dad is 8000 miles away in India! :o) Though I am a vegetarian, this could easily enough be “Paneer”. :o)
BLUEWELL, West Virgina - A family meal erupted into a gun battle after a father and son clashed over how to cook chicken. The two men argued Sunday over the best way to prepare skinless chicken for dinner. "It started out as a physical confrontation, but it escalated until both of them were shooting […]